My life has been greatly enriched and blessed through the friendships Jesus has given me. I have all types of friends. Some are neighbors, some I gave birth to, some I married into, some I was born into, some happened instantly, some took time to grow, some wove themselves deep into my being and will just always be there.
Here are some snippets of some significant friendships in my life. Enjoy them as I share!
- Watching a play with one of my friends, and then taking on the main character's personality for months after seeing the play.... complete with facial contortions and voice changes, in order to best "be" that character! Laughter breaks out every single time!
- Receiving a bracelet to remind me of all of God's promises, from my dear friend as I entered into the process of divorce. She stuck by me as close as a sister during that time.
- Mentioning in passing to a new friend that I had some painting to do, she immediately said, "I'll come help." She did! We laughed and talked and painted all day long, so those sweet memories have been sealed into the walls of that room!
- On a friend's boat going down the Colorado River and letting out a huge, massive, blood-curdling scream, she laughed and laughed and laughed at me until her stomach hurt. And then said, "Do it again!". I'm surprised we weren't arrested!
- Playing with words in conversations - making up suitable new words, remembering past words we've created - and laughing at our creations! Words can bring the most fun!
- A dead car in the elementary school pick-up line. My friend (whom I hadn't seen in 25 years and was visiting me) jumps out of the car and runs into the school, gets my daughter and entertains her for an hour while I deal with the car. Snack time from the vending machine included!
- Struggling with spiritual questions, I call my friend a thousand miles away. She listens. She shares verses from the Bible that lift me up and encourage me. She prays for me. She pours out her heart to God on my behalf. A true friend.
I think back to Adam and Eve in the garden. God created woman for man, in order that they might have relationship - to help each other through the hard times and to enjoy the fun times that much more! It was not good for man to be alone. More than that, though, God walked and talked with them in the garden. They spent time together. They enjoyed each other's company. God desired fellowship with those who were made in His image. Us.
When Abraham came along, this was said of him. James 2:23 (NKJV) And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, "Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness." And he was called the friend of God. Yes, this is what God, the creator of all things desires. Our friendship.
If life is easier to handle with a friend, and if joys are multiplied when shared with a friend, don't you think that the ultimate One to share those things with is God?! Yes, our friends in human form are extremely important. But there are times when no one is there. No one answers their phone. No one is home. There are times when we don't have a signal on our cell phone. There are times when we truly have no one. Jesus said in John 15:13-15 (NKJV) - "Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends. You are My friends if you do whatever I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you."
Bring Jesus into your moments today. And enjoy the flesh and bones friends He has given you. Let them know how much they mean to you!